The Blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits

Mooiste soundtrack, beste zanger, nieuwe releases, klassiek, pop, rock of hiphop.
Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Re: The Blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 26 apr 2011 00:00

Afbeelding

Geboren in 1935 in Mobile, Alabama.
Another guitarist from Chicago and he won't be the last. Well, technically he was born in Alabama, but he moved to Chicago when he was six and there he made his name with an instantly recognizable guitar playing style. An okay singer, his strength mainly lies in his stinging licks. Hence his instrumental Lucky Lou being his best known solo recording. He also played on such famous songs as Howlin' Wolf's 'Evil', Bo Diddley's 'Mona' and 'Who Do You Love' and Billy boy Arnold's 'I Wish You Would'.

During the 60's, he stopped playing music, partly because his own recording career never took off and partly because he lost a law suit where some of his own signature guitar licks now belonged to somebody else. He became a technical engineer for Xerox, until he retired in 1994. In the late 90's, he picked up his guitar again and started touring and recording some fine albums, one of which I bought off him at one the last and now sadly defunct annual Blues Estafettes in Utrecht, a one-day festival where underappreciated and unknown American blues & soul performers came to play.
Favoriete nummers:
Lucky Lou, Lifelong Lover, Moaning For Molasses, Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am, Henpecked and Happy, What You Gonna Do?

Voorbeelden:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 27 apr 2011 15:12

Afbeelding

Geboren in Arkansas in 1906, gestorven in 1983
Roosevelt Sykes is another of several St. Louis pianists on the list, an underappreciated kind of blues player. He was born in Arkansas but moved to St. Louis at the tender age of three. His first recording in 1929 was the tricky to play but much covered “44 Blues”. The rotund, cigar-chomping man became one of the most prolific and important piano players of them all. Besides his own name he recorded songs as Dobby Bragg, Willie Kelly and Easy Papa Johnson in the 1930's. He hardly recorded in the 1940's but kept playing in Nat Love's Club in the notorious East St. Louis.

His nickname “the Honeydripper” is often attributed to his reputation as a predatory, smooth-talking ladies man, but also sometimes to the way children used to crowd around him when he was playing. It's best not to combine the two rumors. Thanks to the blues revival in the fifties and sixties he started recording fulltime again, and did so until his death in 1983. His playing style is examplary for the St. Louis piano blues.
Favoriete nummers:
4:00 Blues, 44 Blues, Number Nine, Miss Ida B., Jailbait, Lonely Day, The Last Laugh

Voorbeelden:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 29 apr 2011 13:57

Afbeelding

Geboren in Mississipi in 1918, gestorven in 1963.
That riff. If he recorded nothing else, Elmore James still would be hugely influential for just that riff. Don't know what I mean? Listen to the first video below. It's probably the most recognizable and most imitated blues riff of all time, and electrified the country blues legacy of Robert Johnson (of whom the song is a cover). You can really trace the development of the blues through these songs. Or if you want, trace it one step further into rock musc by listening to their versions of “Crossroads” and add the Cream version for some music history.

Although James used variations of that riff throughout his career, he did really have a solid recording career, quality wise. He grew up on several farms in Mississippi playing the “diddley bow”, which is little more than a wire nailed to the porch and a bottle for sliding. In the 1930's he befriended such luminaries as Sonny Boy Williamson II, Robert Johnson and Big Boy Crudup. He worked with the first for a few years, but it was Johnson's slide guitar playing that influenced him the most. In 1939 James formed his own band and became one of the earliest bluesmen to switch to an electric guitar.

In 1943 he was called up into service and took part in the invasion of Guam. After his discharge in 1945 he made music in Memphis, including that seminal moment in blues history, his 1951 recording of Dust My Broom. The next year he moved to Chicago, often recording and playing with his cousin Homesick James. Here Elmore James really makes a name for himself with his riffs and slide guitar picking, on such songs like Sky Is Crying, also often covered. He died of a heart attack in 1963, too early to see the enormous influence he had on the British Invasion bands, like for instance The Rolling Stones, whose Brian Jones calles himself Elmo Lewis for a while in honor of his hero.
Favoriete nummers:
Dust My Broom, Sky Is Crying, It Hurts Me Too, Elmore's Contribution to Jazz, Held My Baby Last Night, One Way Out, Talk To Me Baby.
Aan te raden album:
Blues After Hours – Hoewel je met zulke artiesten beter kan beginnen met een compilatie.

Voorbeelden:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 02 mei 2011 00:59

Afbeelding

Geboren in Memphis in 1934, gestorven in 1998
Junior Wells is a superb harmonica player who made his name by playing in Muddy Waters' band and later by partnering up with Buddy Guy. He also released some fine records on his own, which incorporated soul and funk into Chicago-styled blues. The son of sharecroppers born Amos Blakemore, he learned harmonica from his cousin Little Junior Parker. When his parents separated in 1946, he moved with his mother to Chicago. Soon sneaking into blues clubs to jam, he once made 45 dollars in tips while playing along with Muddy Waters, much to the dismay of harp player Little Walter. When Little Walter left Waters' band in 1952, Wells replaced him.

His long association with Buddy Guy began in 1965, when the guitarist appeared on Well's debut album for Delmark, Hoodoo Man Blues. Guy was billed “Friendly Chap”. They would record a number of albums together in the 1970's, 80's and 90's, the best being Alone and Acoustic. Another fine 'solo' record is his 1996 'comeback' Come On In This House. The following year he was diagnosed with cancer, and while undergoing treatment he suffered a heart attack that sent him into a coma from which he never recovered. He lives on in his searing harmonica blues.
Favoriete nummers:
Hoodoo Man Blues, Take Your Time Baby, Early in the Morning, In the Wee Hours, Chitlin con Carne, Yonder Wall, Junior's Wail, en het hele Alone & Acoustic album
Aan te raden album:
Alone & Acoustic, de beste van een aantal samenwerkingen met Buddy Guy.

Voorbeelden:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 13 mei 2011 21:06

Wordt dit eigenlijk nog gelezen/gevolgd? :P

Afbeelding

Geboren in New Orleans in 1899, gestorven in 1970.
I had heard a number of songs of Lonnie Johnson, but they didn't really connect with me until I listened to a CD of his while lying in bed late one night while in a trip in St. Louis, the city where Johnson once reigned supreme. You see, the song I listened to before going to sleep was Mean Old Bedbug Blues. Just ten minutes earlier I had watch something that looked like a cross between a cockroach and a centipede scuttle across the floor and disappear in a small hole right below my bed in this old, decrepit hostel in the Soulard neigborhood. As if Johnson reached across 80 years to soothe me with his inventive guitar playing and beautiful singing.

While everybody in St. Louis was playing the piano in the 1920's blues scene, Lonnie Johnson started playing guitar to distinguish himself. It's there that he got a recording contract with Okeh that would lead to a prolific and influential recording career. Johnson is often credited with inventing the guitar solo, and was a direct influence on Robert Johnson (who for a while pretended to be his brother) and Django Rheinhardt, and so indirectly on just about every guitarpicker since.
Favoriete nummers:
Mean Old Bedbug Blues, Bull Frog Moan, Deep Minor Blues, Tomorrow Night, I Got The Best Jelly Roll In Town, Too Late To Cry.

Aan te raden plaat:
The First of the Guitar Heroes: 1925-1947 – Een compilatie, maar een hele goede met fantastische geluidskwaliteit voor opnames die zo oud zijn. Tijdsgenoten als Robert Johnson of Skip James hebben niet zulke mooi opgepoetste platen.

Voorbeelden:

zvorod
Oscar winnaar
Oscar winnaar

Bericht door zvorod » 13 mei 2011 21:32

Colonel_Kurz schreef:Wordt dit eigenlijk nog gelezen/gevolgd? :P
Door mij wordt het alvast nog gevolgd, ja. Al ga ik niet beweren dat ik alles beluisterd heb. Ik ben zoals bij Bob Dylan vooral geïnteresseerd in de bovenste regionen van jouw top :)

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 13 mei 2011 21:45

Maar al die verschillende stijlen die al zijn langsgekomen! Misschien ontdek je zo nog eens iets nieuws. Over het algemeen kreeg bijvoorbeeld nr. 50 een stuk meer reacties op andere fora dan de nummers direct daarboven. :D

zvorod
Oscar winnaar
Oscar winnaar

Bericht door zvorod » 14 mei 2011 15:47

Begrijp ik best, maar ik ben al gefrustreerd genoeg door het feit dat ik nog niet eens de tijd vind om al mijn cd's te beluisteren (er zitten er zelfs naar schatting nog een honderdtal in het plastic beschermhoesje van de winkel) :N ... laat staan alles wat zo maar uit het niets op mijn harde schijf terecht is gekomen

Niettemin blijf ik dit fijn initiatief volgen en probeer ik af en toe iets uit. Het kan dus goed zijn dat ik je over een jaar of twee uitvoerig bedank voor een nieuwe muzikale ontdekking :wink:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 14 mei 2011 22:44

Gheh... dat heb ik meer met films.

WizardOfOss
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door WizardOfOss » 14 mei 2011 23:17

Ook van mij uit zeker interesse in dit draadje, maar ook ik kom er te weinig aan toe om echt veel te luisteren, laat staan dat ik er iets zinnigs over kan melden. Maar zeker doorgaan dus :T

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 10 jun 2011 12:04

Afbeelding

Geboren in 1941 in Notleyville, Louisiana.
Roscoe Chenier may be related to zydeco king Clifton Chenier, he is far from famous. Born into a family of Louisiana sharecroppers he did introduce me to the live power of the blues. He was the first blues player I ever saw live when he partook in the then annual Blues Route in my hometown. A small podium, a big man, decked out in a chrome suit with a big jewel-encrusted cross. And then, of course, there was the music. But when I caught a glance of him backstage in between sets, sitting on too small a stool and obviously tired. He still wore that suit, but the 'glamour' of it had completely disappeared. He looked so lonely and sad. Maybe I was reading into things and he was actually having a ball, but just resting in between sets, but that image has stayed with me ever since and really defined the blues for me for years to come. His music is actually pretty good too, but it's the sentimental value of that first performance and that moment in between performances that partly gets him this spot.
Favoriete nummers:
Blues Around My Bed, Rainin' In My Heart, Black Night, Tomcat Blues

Voorbeelden/Examples:
Ik kon geen youtube filmpjes van hem vinden, dus heb ik maar een paar mp3'tjes voor jullie beschikbaar gemaakt.

http://k002.kiwi6.com/hotlink/71a732c53 ... My_Bed.mp3
http://k002.kiwi6.com/hotlink/7s88hh229 ... _Night.mp3
http://k002.kiwi6.com/hotlink/2pleq2801 ... _Blues.mp3

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 10 jun 2011 12:20

Afbeelding

Geboren in Tennessee in 1914, gestorven in 1948.
John Lee “Sonny Boy” Williamson is often referred to as 'Sonny Boy Williamson I' to avoid confusion with Rice Miller, known as 'Sonny Boy Williamson II', despite the fact that John Lee is the younger of the two by 15 years, and that Rice Miller started calling himself Sonny Boy Williamson about three years before John Lee did. Miller only started recording solo/lead after John Lee died, so from a musical standpoint the numbering makes sense. John Lee, this Sonny Boy, the 'first', was one of the, if not the most important blues harmonica player of the pre-war era, a trailblazer who led the way for Little Walter and the harpists who shaped the new sound of Chicago after World War II.

The first song he recorded (in 1934), “Good Morning Little Schoolgirl”, has since become one of the most covered blues songs of all time. He had a great technique for his distinct harp-playing style that was also allied to a great emotional power. A good singer too, maybe his greatest assets is how he blends his singing with his playing into one continuous call and response melodic line. He died at the age of 34 after being mugged on his way home from Chicago's Plantation Club one early morning.

Favoriete nummers:
Good Morning, Little School Girl; Blue Bird Blues; Early in the Morning; I'm Tired of Trucking My Blues Away; Until My Love Comes Down; My Baby, I've Been Your Slave; Little Girl Blues; I've Been Dealing With The Devil; Hoodoo Man; Lacey Belle;

Voorbeelden:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 10 jun 2011 13:29

Afbeelding

William Bunch was een blueszanger en pianist die van 1929 tot 1941 in St. Louis woonde en werkzaam was als muzikant onder de artiestennaam Peetie Wheatstraw. In die tijd was hij één van de beroemdste bluesartiesten in de stad en ook één van de productiefste: hij nam in tien jaar tijd 160 verschillende nummers op, 200 zelfs als men begeleiding van andere artiesten meerekent. Hij is exemplarisch voor de blues uit St. Louis in diens hoogtijdagen, speelde met en werd herinnerd door vele bluesmuzikanten, waaronder Lonnie Johnson – een zeer atypische maar desondanks belangrijke muzikant voor de blues van St. Louis.

De precieze geboortedatum van William Bunch is niet met zekerheid vast te stellen. Volgens familielid Nathan Bunch is William op 21 december 1902 geboren in Ripley, Tennessee, maar 21 december is ook de dag waarop hij gestorven is en dat is wel erg toevallig. Er wordt ook beweerd dat Bunch in 1902 in Arkansas geboren is, of in 1905 specifiek in Little Rock, Arkansas. Volgens Franse jazz-criticus Hugues Panassié is Bunch geboren in 1894 in St. Louis, maar het bewijs daarvoor is zo dun dat een van de latere data aannemelijker is. Aan het begin van zijn carrière zingt Bunch ook over de aankomst in de stad en het terugverlangen naar het platte land, wat bij het verhaal past dat hij in een klein plaatsje is geboren en niet is opgegroeid in St. Louis.

Eind jaren twintig kwam de toen nog onbekende William Bunch aan in St. Louis. Volgens de daar aanwezige en al bekende pianist Henry Townsend kon Bunch al piano spelen, maar had hij zijn kenmerkende stijl nog niet ontwikkeld. In de vroege jaren dertig ontwikkelde hij zijn eigen stijl in de clubs en andere gelegenheden waar hij muziek kon spelen. Wheatstraw woonde in East St. Louis, in het beruchte 'Valley' district, maar speelde overal in de stad. Al snel was hij met zijn stijl een van de bekendste namen in het livecircuit. Tussen 1930 en 1941 nam hij honderdzestig nummers op onder zijn eigen naam en begeleidde anderen op nog veertig meer platen. Vanaf zijn tweede opnamesessie in 1930 noemde hij zichzelf Peetie Wheatstraw en voegde meteen een tweede naam toe, 'The Devil's Son-In-Law'. Later verving hij dit af en toe met 'The High Sheriff From Hell'. Op 21 december 1941 vond William Bunch de dood in een auto die een aanvaring had met een trein. Over zijn sterfdatum bestaat geen twijfel.

Op 13 augustus 1930 nam Peetie Wheatstraw zijn eerste nummers voor Vocalion op, samen met ene Neckbone, een St. Louis blues legende die iedereen destijds kende maar waar niemand de echte naam van wist. In het eerste lied, Tennesse peaches blues, zingen de mannen over hun verlangen naar de vrouwen op het platteland dat ze voelen nu ze in de stad zijn aangekomen:
  • “Well, now, you say the peaches you love don't grow on no tree. (x2)
    Well, I believe, now you say peaches, now, grow just above the knee.
    Well, I believe I'll go back down in Tennessee. (x2)
    Yeah, baby, where the peaches grow, honey, now, just above the knee.”
Dat Peetie Wheatstraw niet uit de grote stad kwam, maakt hij nog duidelijker in Strange Man Blues:
  • “Strange man, I just dropped in your town. (x2)
    I've been a stranger, please, please, don't turn me down.
    Well, well, I'm a stranger here baby, and I'm a long ways from home (x2).”
Al snel wordt hij echter in St. Louis een bekende muzikant en na een paar jaar wordt zijn leven in de stad ook duidelijk hoorbaar in zijn muziek en teksten. Naast dat hij inmiddels zijn kenmerkende piano intro heeft ontwikkeld waar hij zijn liederen vaak me opent (of met een variatie daarop) zingt hij ook steeds meer over het stadsleven. In 1934 nam hij voor Decca het nummer Numbers blues op. In dit nummer zingt hij over paardenraces, loterijen en het gokken in het algemeen. Deze loterijen floreerden in die tijd in East St. Louis, zoals ze dat in veel arme gedeeltes van steden deden. Zo bezong Peetie Wheatstraw vele aspecten van het leven in St. Louis (naast dat hij vaak de geneugten van whiskey bezong en uiteraard kwamen liefdesperikelen en vrouwen veelvuldig aan bod). Hij nam meerdere versies op van C and A train blues, de Chicago en Alton lijn die tussen Kansas City, St. Louis en Chicago heen en weer reed. In Kidnapper's Blues doet hij beroep op een Chief Detective om zijn geliefde te vinden, een functie die alleen in groot, stedelijk politieapparaat bestaat. In Jungle man blues zingt Peetie Wheatstraw over het zwerversbestaan in de grote stad. De jungle waar hij op doelt waren de plekken in de steden waar grote groepen zwervers zich verzamelden. In Little house concludeert Peetie Wheatstraw dat hij vertrekt naar Chicago omdat de vrouwen in St. Louis niet goed voor hem zorgen:
  • “I'm going to Chicago to get my hambone boiled.
    Because these St. Louis women , oooh, well, going to let my hambone spoil.”
Het is de eerste keer dat Peetie Wheatstraw St. Louis letterlijk noemt, maar zeker niet de laatste. Op Third Street's going down bezingt hij het lot van Third Street, een straat die door het hart van “The Valley” in East St. Louis liep, een gevaarlijk gebied vol bordelen, gokhuizen en saloons. Peetie woonde daar 468a North Third Street, dus toen in een poging het stadsgedeelte op te schonen, onder het bekende motto 'urban renewal', een groot deel van de gebouwen aldaar werd neergehaald, werd ook Peetie's woning vernietigd, alsmede een deel van de etablissementen waar hij zijn brood verdiende. Het onderwerp lag hem dus nauw aan het hart:
  • “We used to have luck in the 'Valley', but the girls had to move way out of town. (x2)
    Some moved in the alley, oooh, well, because Third Street is going down.
    I had a girl on St. Louis Avenue, but Third Street she hung around. (x2)
    But the law got so hot, oooh, well, weel, until Third Street is going down.
    I waked up one morning, my face all full of frowns. (x2)
    Ahh (nothing but my baby), oooh well, well, Third Street is going down.
    The city hired Mr. Keeler to put a highway through that part of town. (x2)
    And the law told the girls to move, oooh, well, well, 'cause we're tearing Third Street down.”
De 'girls' in deze tekst zijn de meisjes die werkzaam waren in de bordelen, die moesten wijken voor een snelweg. Dus ook voordat men na de Tweede Wereldoorlog in de Amerikaanse steden snelwegen dwars door de stad werden gebouwd, gebeurde dit al in 1937 in East St. Louis. Een andere straat die bezongen werd door Peetie Wheatstraw op 1 april 1938 was Cake Alley, een plek die inmiddels ook niet meer te vinden is in St. Louis.. Deze steeg was een van de drie naamloze steegjes tussen Blair Avenue en Fifteenth Street met elkaar verbond, een locatie die door veranderde straatnamen nu niet meer te vinden is. Ooit moet het in North St. Louis te vinden zijn geweest. Op de hoek van Blair Avenue en de zuidelijkste van de drie steegjes stond ooit een bakkerij, of zoals een lokale bewoonster het noemde, een 'cake place'. Wheatstraw beschrijft in dit nummer niet alleen de bakkerij, maar ook de gevaarlijke sociale omstandigheden van de straat vol zwervers:
  • “There's a place in St. Louis, they call Cake Alley, you know. (x2)
    It is a very tough place, oooh, well, well, where all the bums do love to go.
    Cake Alley runs from Blair Avenue on out to Fifteenth Street. (x2)
    But the good things you can get in Cake Alley, oooh, well, well I swear it can't be beat.
    When you go in Cake Alley, you better know just what to do (x2)
    Because, now, the bums in Cake Alley, oooh, well, well, will take your money from you.
    I was living in Cake Alley, a very short time ago (x2)
    But that's where I left my sweet woman, oooh, well, well, and I don't go there no more.
    The reason they call it Cake Alley, because the cakes is very sweet. (x2)
    And like the bums in Cake Alley, oooh, well, well, they knock you off your feet.”
Een jaar na de dood van Wheatstraw werden er twee jaar geen opnames meer gemaakt vanwege een langdurige staking in de muziekindustrie en de rantsoenering in oorlogstijd van schellak, waar 78-toeren platen mee gemaakt werden. Landelijk lag de ontwikkeling van de blues op plaat stil, en na de oorlog stond een nieuwe generatie op met een nieuw geluid, dat van de elektrische gitaar. Een geluk bij een ongeluk dat Wheatstraw dit niet meer hoefde mee te maken, want de populariteit en invloed van pianoblues nam in deze tijd zienderogen af.

Favoriete nummers:
Cake Alley, Devil's Son-In-Law, Pete Wheatstraw, Peetie Wheatstraw Stomp, Third Street's Going Down, Last Dime, Crapshooters Blues, Devil's Son In Law, Working on the Project, Third Street Going Down, Throw Me In The Alley

Voorbeelden:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 02 jul 2011 13:34

Afbeelding

Geboren in Tennessee in 1904, gestorven in 1972.
Fred McDowell was nicknamed Mississippi, despite the fact that he was born and grew up in Tennessee. McDowell taught himself to play guitar with a slide hollowed out of cattle bone. After his parents died when he was fourteen, he made his way to Memphis during the 1920s and played on street corners for tips, under the influence of the likes of Charley Patton. After a short period he moved to Como, Mississippi where he farmed by day and played parties at night. This life continued for about 30 years until he was 'discovered' and recorded by Alan Lomax. Based on this, Arhoolie Records came looking for him in 1964, recorded two albums with him known either as Fred McDowell Vol. 1 & 2 or Delta Blues Vol. 1 & 2 and persuaded him to become a recording artist. McDowell's emergence sent shockwaves through the folk-blues world. How could this authentic backwoods bluesman, blessed with such depth and emotional force, remain unknown for so long? McDowell's raw delta blues puts many others that had been recorded to shame. Almost his entire career thereafter, McDowell played the acoustic guitar and scorned the amplified rock influences in modern blues, an attitude reflected in the title of his 1969 album I Do Not Play Rock & Roll. When he died after eight years of touring and recording, he reportedly was buried in a silver lamé suit that the Rolling Stones had bought him.

Favoriete nummers:
You've Got To Move, Write Me A Few Lines, You Gonna Be Sorry, Where Were You, I Walked All The Way From East St. Louis, Gravel Road Blues, Waiting For My Baby.

Favoriete album: Delta Blues Vol. 2

Voorbeelden:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 02 jul 2011 14:22

Afbeelding

Geboren in Memphis, Tennessee in 1935 en stierf in 2009.
The voice of Koko Taylor is like an elemental voice of nature. It's hard to dispute her title as the current queen of the blues (although she's not the highest ranked woman on the list), a title to which she first laid claim some odd forty years ago with her blistering version of Wang Dang Doodle that matches Howlin' Wolfs original in every respect.

Koko Taylor was born as Cora Walton and raised on a farm near Memphis, but sadly orphaned at the age of eleven. She earned her nickname Koko because of her childhood love of chocolate. Her love for the blues was inspired by B.B. King's radio show and she began singing with her brothers. She never thought of becoming a professional though, when she and her husband moved to Chicago in 1953 and worked as a cleaner. At night, she frequented the blues clubs and at her husbands encouragement sat in with several bands. In 1962 Willie Dixon told her there weren't enough female blues singers and offered her a contract. Her first recordings featured Buddy Guy on guitar and Big Walter Horton on harmonica, and her second session produced her ferocious version of Wang Dang Doodle. After the succes of that, she toured in Europe and recorded a few albums for Chess. In 1975 she signed with Alligator records and recorded a number of records there, earning a grammy or two in the process and working again with Buddy Guy, B.B. King and others. In the 1990's, she toured extensively and ran a blues club in Chicago for six years.
Favoriete nummers:
I Got What It Takes, Wang Dang Doodle, Insane Asylum, Tease Your Man, Blues Heaven, I'm A Woman, I'd Rather Go Blind, Blues Hotel, Born Under A Bad Sign, Mother Nature.

Voorbeelden:

Plaats reactie