The Blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits

Mooiste soundtrack, beste zanger, nieuwe releases, klassiek, pop, rock of hiphop.
Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Re: The Blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 06 jul 2011 00:03

Afbeelding

Geboren in 1940 in Louisiana.
Bobby Rush keeps that sexy, dirty, funky side of blues going all Saturday night, then on Sunday he prays in church with the best of them. When I saw him perform live in 2009 at the Chenango Blues Festival he performed alone, with just a guitar and a harmonica, just like he does on his album Raw. But this is just one side of Rush. One that I saw when I watched the documentary The Road To Memphis, which is part of the 7 PBS doc series called 'Blues', with other films made by Scorsese and Wenders. I don't know if it's a North vs. South thing or the fact that at the festival he played to a predominantly white audience, but when he frequents the clubs of Mississippi, Tennessee and other places on the chitlin circuit, the guitar playing is done by another and the music is a lot more funky, a music he calls 'folk-funk', and one or several dancers who only really dance with one body part are a big part of his show. The difference can be seen in the video's I posted below: the first is an example of his harmonica skills, the second is a version of a fun song of his in the style I saw him play and the third is the funk with the booty shaking.

Rush was born Emmit Ellis, jr. in either 1935 or 1940, depending on the source. At some point, his family moved to Arkansas and there he befriended Elmore James. In the 50's he played the clubs of Chicago, still a teenager, with a fake moustache to pass as adult. In the 1970's he had a funk/R&B hit with 'Chickenheads'. In the last decade he returned to a more rootsier blues sound, and it's this sound and his performance that I witnessed that earns him a place on this list.
Favoriete nummers:
Blind Snake, Boney Maroney, Howlin' Wolf, I Got 3 Problems, Uncle Esau, Chicken Head – Refried, Feeling Good.

Albums
Zowel het eerdergenoemde Raw als Folkfunk zijn prima albums and complementeren elkander - de een is akoestische blues, de andere een mix van blues en funk.

Voorbeelden:

zvorod
Oscar winnaar
Oscar winnaar

Bericht door zvorod » 06 jul 2011 16:52

Dat funky nummer heeft een behoorlijk hypnotiserend clipje :D

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 20 jul 2011 00:48

Afbeelding

Geboren in Mississippi in 1937, gestorven in 1969.
The embodiment of West Side Chicago blues, an adventurous mixture of Chicago blues and the soul music that had become more popular than the blues in the 1960's. An electric guitar that he picked in a new, exciting way, a lot of boogie and riffs borrowed partly from soul songs and styles laid over blues rhythms. Sadly, he died only two years after releasing the landmark album West Side Soul and never really developed the style he pioneered. At the age of 32 he was felled by a heart attack.

Samuel Maghett grew up in a sharecropping family in Mississippi and made himself a guitar from cigar boxes because he was fascinated by the sounds of the Delta Blues. When his family relocated to Chicago in1950, he was already a proficient musician. Encouraged by his uncle he formed his own band in 1955 and started calling himself Good Rocking Sam. Thanks to Willie Dixon, Sam wound up in the studio of Cobra in 1957, owned by Eli Toscano. Toscano didn't like “Good Rockin” and suggested Sam renamed himself Sad Sam. The twenty year old, full of energy and optimism, objected that Sad Sam sounded like a hopeless loser and went with Magic Sam instead. He had a few good singles, but then in 1960 Cobra went bust and Sam was drafted into the army. After two months he deserted, fled to Chicago to record but was soon imprisoned for desertion. After a short sentence and some hard times he finally got his big break in 1967 when he signed with Delmark and got to make an album, the legendary West Side Soul. He recored a follow up, and after his death a few explosive live recordings were released, but his discography remains woefully small.
Favoriete nummers:
That's All I Need, I Need You So Bad, I Feel So Good (I Wanna Boogie), All Your Love, I Don't Want No Woman, Sweet Home Chicago

Favoriete album: West Side Soul

Voorbeelden:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 22 jul 2011 22:46

Afbeelding

Geboren in Vicksburg, Mississippi in 1915, gestorven in 1992.
Willie Dixon is not this high on the list because of the plethora of his solo output, or his strength as a performer (singing and the upright bass), though he has recorded a couple of great songs, one of which ranks as one of my all time favorite blues songs. Yet he's here mostly because his strengths as a writer, producer and arranger for other artists at the Chess label, writing the break out hit for Little Walter, and some more for Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Koko Taylor, Buddy Guy, Bo Diddley, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Elmore James, Jimmy Witherspoon and others. He has been called the chief architect of the Chicago sound and the backbone of the success of the Chess label. Later, his work was covered by, amongst others, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Captain Beefheart, Elvis Costello, Steppenwolf, Jimi Hendrix, Phish, The White Stripes, The Animals, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Allman Brothers, PJ Harvey and Led Zeppelin. The last ones he sued at one point for not crediting him for certain riffs and lyrics they copied off him.

Willie James Dixon was the seventh of fourteen children. His mother had the habit of turning everything she said into rhymes, a tendency he copied and believed sowed the seeds of his subsequent songwriting. As a child he sang bass in a gospel quartet with it's own radio program, the Union Jubilee Singers. He hoboed his way to Chicago in 1932 to become a heavyweight boxer. After four fights he was declared Illinois State Golden Gloves heavyweight champion, but abandoned that career after a dispute with his manager over money. In 1940 he started his professional music career, which was disrupted by him refusing service in the US Army and serving time for ten months. Afterwards he started a new group, and in 1945 he formed the Big Three. In 1948 he met Phil and Leonard Chess, started as a temp but three years later he worked overtime as chief scout, A&R Man, producer, session musician and songwriter. During his Chess years, he at one time quit the label and took legal action against it to regain control of his copyrights, though in the end he returned and worked there until 1971. In 1982 he set up the Blues Heaven Foundation, to help other blues artists claim their dues and right past wrongs in the royalty department.
Favoriete nummers van hemzelf:
Sittin' and Cryin' the Blues, Built For Comfort, It Don't Make Sense (You Can't Make Peace), Weak Brain, Narrow Mind.

Favoriete nummers die hij schreef voor anderen:
My Babe (Little Walter), Evil (Howlin' Wolf), I'm Ready (Muddy Waters), I Just Want To Make Love To You (Muddy Waters), Spoonful (Howlin' Wolf), Little Red Rooster (Howlin' Wolf), Back Door Man (Howlin' Wolf), You Shook Me (Muddy Waters), Bring It On Home (Sonny Boy Williamson II), Wang Dang Doodle (Koko Taylor or Howlin' Wolf), The Same Thing (Muddy Waters).

Voorbeelden:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 25 jul 2011 15:37

Afbeelding

Geboren in 1942 in New York.
At a time when several older blues legends were turning to psychedelia, thought most did so prompted by labels, a young man who called himself Taj Mahal brought back the country blues and folk blues, though the influence of rhythm and blues was also obvious on his first albums in the late '60s. During his long career he has incorporated all manner of roots music from the US, Africa, the West Indies and the Caribbean into his repertoire, though almost always with the blues as either base or goal. Despite his various styles and frequent soul leanings, my favorite type of Taj Mahal still remains him alone with a dobro and/or harmonica, though he has also played the fife to great effect (check out the live performance of Ain't Gwine To Whistle Dixie below), reaching back to the traditions of drum & fife bands. Taj Mahal was born  Henry Saint Clair Fredericks, Jr. in Harlem, New York, but grew up in Massachussets and made his career as a musician in the 1960's in California. Since the 80's he lives in Hawaii. Before all that he almost became a farmer though. He started using the name Taj Mahal after dreams of India and Ghandi around the same time he began attending the University of Massachussets, either in 1959 or 1961.
Favoriete nummers:
Corinna, She Caught The Katy And Left Me A Mule To Ride, Fishin Blues, Ain't Gwine To Whistle Dixie (Any Mo') [live], Give Your Woman What She Wants, Lovin' In My Baby's Eyes, Queen Bee, Country Blues #1, East Bay Woman.

Voorbeelden:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 05 aug 2011 14:36

Afbeelding

Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Bessie Smith & Ma Rainey – Voor de jaren '30 werd de blues gedomineerd door vrouwen en daar zijn dit misschien wel de beste voorbeelden van.

Leadbelly – Ik heb hem altijd net iets meer als een folk artiest beschouwd, hoewel het onderscheid in zijn geval moeilijk te maken is en dit oordeel misschien oneerlijk en behoorlijk arbitrair is.

Big Bill Broonzy – Ontzettend invloedrijk, maar doet me toch niet zoveel in vergelijking met degenen die het wel gehaald hebben.

T-Bone Walker – Ook al zo invloedrijk, niet in de laatste plaats omdat hij de eerste was die een elektrisch versterkte gitaar speelde.

Jimmy Reed – He was on the first draft of the list, but a thorough listen to his relaxed style made him sound just a tad to bland to make. Of great influence on the British Invasion

Tab Benoit – Goeie moderne swamp blues gitarist.

Een paar waar ik simpwelweg niet genoeg van had gehoord voordat ik aan de lijst begon:

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Otis Rush

En dan nog een aantal die niet echt blues artiesten zijn, maar die het genre in zulk een herkenbare manier in hun stijl en repertoire hebben opgenomen dat ze het vernoemen waard zijn:

Bonnie Raitt
The White Stripes
Led Zeppelin

The Rolling Stones – Zij speelden een aantal sterke blues nummers tijdens hun carrière, en creëerden een geweldige mix van alle Amerikaanse roots muziek in hun beste periode van '68-'72.

Eric Clapton – The Yardbirds, John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, Cream, en dan af en toe een solo blues album. Geen geweldig schrijver, maar hij kan goed spelen.

zvorod
Oscar winnaar
Oscar winnaar

Bericht door zvorod » 05 aug 2011 17:52

Is dit eigenlijk het enige genre waar je zo intensief mee bezig bent? Of een van de meerdere liefdes?
Het lijkt bijna op werk, zo minstens 50 artiesten uit één (breed) genre goed te leren kennen en te klasseren. Keep up the good work, trouwens, ik kom hier 's avonds laat dikwijls wel iets meepikken. In kleine doses weliswaar, want ik ben gewoon om meestal alle mogelijke stijlen op mijn media player op shuffle op te zetten :)

emperor
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame

Bericht door emperor » 05 aug 2011 18:03

Colonel_Kurz schreef: En dan nog een aantal die niet echt blues artiesten zijn, maar die het genre in zulk een herkenbare manier in hun stijl en repertoire hebben opgenomen dat ze het vernoemen waard zijn:

Led Zeppelin
..that's was easy. :wink:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 05 aug 2011 19:28

emperor schreef:
Colonel_Kurz schreef: En dan nog een aantal die niet echt blues artiesten zijn, maar die het genre in zulk een herkenbare manier in hun stijl en repertoire hebben opgenomen dat ze het vernoemen waard zijn:

Led Zeppelin
..that's was easy. :wink:
Ze zijn niet voor niks meerdere malen succesvol aangeklaagd vanwege het jatten van bluesmuzikanten. :P
zvorod schreef:Is dit eigenlijk het enige genre waar je zo intensief mee bezig bent? Of een van de meerdere liefdes?
Het lijkt bijna op werk, zo minstens 50 artiesten uit één (breed) genre goed te leren kennen en te klasseren. Keep up the good work, trouwens, ik kom hier 's avonds laat dikwijls wel iets meepikken. In kleine doses weliswaar, want ik ben gewoon om meestal alle mogelijke stijlen op mijn media player op shuffle op te zetten :)
Goed om te horen! En ja, dit is het enige genre waar ik zo intensief mee bezig ben. Hoewel als ik op mijn Last.FM lijst kijk, die ik sinds half april gereset heb, staan daar in de top 20 5 bluesartiesten, 3 jazzartiesten, 4 rockartiesten, 3 filmmuziekcomponisten, 2 soulartiesten, 1 keer country, 1 keer Franse 60's pop en één die ik moeilijk te categoriseren vind... en ik zie ook dat onze compitabiliteit erg laag is op die site. :D

zvorod
Oscar winnaar
Oscar winnaar

Bericht door zvorod » 05 aug 2011 19:49

Colonel_Kurz schreef:en ik zie ook dat onze compitabiliteit erg laag is op die site. :D
Beschamend laag zelfs.
Wie offert zich op? Gooi jij jezelf in de noiserock, elektronica of industrial? Of ik mezelf in de blues, soul of 60's pop? :P

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 05 aug 2011 23:33

Tellen Tangerine Dream en Can al als elektronica?

zvorod
Oscar winnaar
Oscar winnaar

Bericht door zvorod » 06 aug 2011 00:29

Colonel_Kurz schreef:Tellen Tangerine Dream en Can al als elektronica?
Als Tom Waits en the Doors als blues, en ESG als soul meetellen :wink:
Ik heb trouwens het John Lee Hooker album nog steeds op mijn computer staan.

Soit, ik ga je thread niet verder bevuilen :oops:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 06 aug 2011 00:49

Ik ben juist blij dat er eens iemand reageert. :D

emperor
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame

Bericht door emperor » 06 aug 2011 14:31

Colonel_Kurz schreef: Ze zijn niet voor niks meerdere malen succesvol aangeklaagd vanwege het jatten van bluesmuzikanten. :P
Dat heet toch: '(zwaar)beïnvloed zijn door..' :wink:

Colonel_Kurz
Walk of Fame
Walk of Fame
Contacteer:

Bericht door Colonel_Kurz » 08 aug 2011 10:01

Afbeelding

Geboren in 1934 in Mississippi, gestorven in 2006 in Memphis
Jessie Mae Hemphill is performer from Northern Mississippi who plays the guitar and various percussion instruments and has a hypnotic voice. In most of her songs she immediately creates an unique atmosphere, full of either pain or joy, and definitely very rural. Pulsating mid-tempo songs or slow blues, she draws you into a world of cotton and crickets from the first half of last century. She wasn't recorded in any way until 1967. In the 70's she played in bar bands. She started playing solo dates and released her first record in Europe in 1981, She-Wolf. It sure doesn't sound like something from the 80's though. It wasn't until 1987 that she got to record her first American record. A few years later she gave up recording but continued performing in the last decade of the century. She started out as both a guitar player and drummer at the age of seven, and grew up playing in various drum 'n fife bands. This accounts for her rhytmic style, which is much more about the beat and rarely has much in the way of melody except for her singing.
Favoriete nummers:
Standing In My Doorway Crying, She Wolf, Married Man Blues, Overseas Blues, Go Back To Your Used To Be, Streamline Train, Take Me Home With You Baby, Lord Help The Poor and Needy, Crawdad Hole.

Voorbeelden:

Plaats reactie